There’s really nothing quite like finishing a long day at work and coming home to get a delicious, hot dinner started. You get home, you cut your veggies up, and you get prepped to make a meal. You go to turn the stove on, but it won’t light! Ugh! What a bummer. Continue reading for information on why your stove isn’t lighting and some gas stove fire safety tips.
The Gas Line is Clogged
If you’re like most people, you probably use your stove top quite often. And like all home appliances that are used heavily, some maintenance is required to keep your stove top functioning safely and properly. If you can’t get your stove ignited, there’s a very good chance that the gas line is clogged with some sort of food debris. This kind of debris can come in the form of crumbs and grease buildup.
Luckily, this is an easy fix. All you have to do is give the burner base and surrounding area a thorough cleaning. Start by removing the stove grate and the burner cap and washing them thoroughly with warm soap and water. You should also remove the burner base and let it soak in vinegar and warm water. Once the burner base has soaked for a good period of time (20 minutes to an hour depending on how dirty it is), use a wire-bristle brush to clean it of any remaining food or grease buildup. The last step is to poke through the burner holes with a toothpick to remove any other debris that may be jammed in there.
The Igniter Connectors are Loose or Disconnected
Sometimes igniter connectors can get loosened during a heavy cleaning session or a reinstallation – it’s not uncommon! If the connectors are loose and not completely attached to the unit’s control module, you’ll have a tough time getting a solid ignition.
This is also an easy fix. First, you’ll want to unplug the oven from the wall outlet to avoid electrical shock. Next, take the grate and cap off the burner so that you can see the wiring coming out of the bottom of it. Give the wiring a thorough examination to see that they are attached to the igniter. If they are not, plug them back in.
The Igniter Needs to be Replaced
If you’ve unclogged your gas line and reconnected any loose igniter connectors and still cannot get your stove to light, then you may need to replace your igniter altogether. You can confirm this by darkening your kitchen lights, twisting the control knob to the ignite position, and watching the sparks. If the sparks are yellowish rather than bluish, you probably need to replace the igniter.
To be completely safe, you should call your stove/oven’s manufacturer and ask for the correct procedure to replace the igniter for your specific model.
Stove Safety Tips
Unfortunately, stove fires and gas fires are more common than people think. Fire damage restoration costs can be a huge financial burden, so here are a few tips to remember to maintain stove safety in the kitchen.
- Flame Management – The number one rule is never, ever forget to turn the flame off when you’re done cooking. You should never leave a flame unattended. Doing so is a huge risk for a stove fire or a gas fire and can lead to your home burning down.
- Maintenance and Cleaning – Failure to properly clean and maintain your stove and its individual components is one of the main causes of stove fires and gas fires. Be sure to regularly clean the burners and grates and consult your stove’s manufacturer for any additional maintenance tips.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors – It’s never a bad idea to install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home to alert you or your loved ones of any fire breakouts or carbon monoxide emissions.
- Other Safety Equipment – Make sure you keep a functional fire extinguisher in your kitchen at all times. Accidents do happen from time to time, so making sure you have the correct safety equipment on hand is absolutely vital to maintain stove and kitchen safety.
- Utilize your Sense of Smell – If, for whatever reason, you begin to smell gas or gas fumes, immediately turn the burners off. Your stove may be leaking gas. If the smell persists even after you’ve turned the burner off, call your local fire department.
In any sort of setting where gas is being involved to cook, it’s very important to be alert and to not take any unnecessary risks. It is your responsibility to make sure that you are maintaining your cooking equipment regularly in order to minimize the risk of a stove fire or a gas fire.
Fire Restoration and Fire Damage Repairs
If your home has suffered from a gas fire or a stove fire, you’ll need the services of a proven fire restoration company. ServiceMaster by Restoration Contractors is the premier fire restoration company in the Fort Wayne, IN area. Give us a call today at (260) 420-1502 to schedule an appointment.